School uniforms are defined as specific clothes that a certain school requires its students to wear. Uniforms generally consist of a dress shirt for both boys and girls and either dark blue or brown pants for both, or a dark or plaid skirt for girls. Shoes may be dress shoes or plain dark shoes.
School uniforms results in:
- Reduction in violent behavior
- Inculcation discipline and regulation among students
- Less bullying/less picking on students for clothes choices
- Less demand on faculty to enforce dress code policies
- Decreased commotion amongst students
- A strong sense of society
- A valuable teacher tool for identifying those who do not belong on campus
PE Uniforms, or physical education uniforms, tend to be more gender neutral, than the typical school uniform. There is a standard PE uniform ensemble which includes a logo T-shirt, shorts, a sweatshirt and sweatpants. Many Los Angeles schools take advantage of the mild climate and opt to have PE outside, but some days can still be chilly, making the decision to purchase sweatpants and sweatshirts a wise one. PE Uniforms and school uniforms follow similar trends and while many would consider the point that uniforms bring culture to the setting a matter of opinion, many would cite it as fact.